Saturday 11 January 2014

Go vegan?

I have a lot of ailments - asthma, eczema, allergies (all part of being atopic - hypersensitivity I). The most worrying of the last few years is the development of food allergies. The immunology department at Manchester Royal confirmed my allergy to shellfish a few years ago, and more recently in 2013 confirmed my allergy to Quorn products. Last year I had two full blown anaphylactic shocks, one while I was out running and one immediately after running. Pretty shitty really. Thankfully I was road running and not out on the fells or I'd have been pretty screwed. The consultant defined it as "Quorn-dependant exercise-induced anaphylaxis", as said he'd not come across it before.

While having my blood tests at the immunology department most recently they picked up that my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels were slightly elevated, indicating the possibly of hypothyroidism. Linking with urticaria (hives) I get round my neck area, there's a possibly that it's Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (where your immune system attacks your own thyroid gland). Your thyroid is essential to controlling your metabolism, so if it's screwed up then you can feel lethargic & cold, put on weight, to name a few symptoms.

I have a pharmacology exam in 2 days, as part of my nursing degree. I've been looking at monoclonal antibodies such as Ritixumab & Omalizumab (these are used to treat rheumatoid arthritis + cancer & asthma). Antibodies usually tag onto specific targets to identify them to the body or neutralise them. Which got me thinking....

Surely all the milk / yoghurts / all the other dairy products I consume will contain bovine antibodies? And what are they doing to my body? Are they causing my hypersensitivity to allergens? Are they destroying my thyroid?

I must admit I've not looked very far into this. But it makes me think, I wonder whether I should go vegan. Or just try to cut down on as much dairy as possible and see if it has a positive effect, if any effect at all. I understand people go vegan for all sorts of reasons like animal cruelty and all that, but my decision would be purely selfish. I'd have to think long and hard, I wonder where I'd get my protein from. I know you get certain amino acids from certain things so I'd have to balance it all out... especially as I can't have Quorn.

Through my uni I get access to loads of academic journals so I will have to have a proper look into this all after my exams.

In the meantime, I'm off for a cup of tea. With milk in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment